Phone: 815-868-4326 or Toll Free: 877-458-0005

Joliet Paternity Lawyer

 Establishing Paternity for Child Support or Visitation Rights

A paternity test can decisively determine whether a man is or is not the father of a child. The results of a DNA test is all the proof required by the court. The hard part comes after paternity testing — determining child support or working out the terms of visitation. custody lawyer in Joliet

We are experienced child custody and family law attorney practicing in Will County, Grundy County and Kendall County, Illinois. We counsel and represent mothers (as well as fathers) in paternity actions and related proceedings. Contact our team of attorneys for a free initial consultation.

Chicagoland Paternity and Child Support Lawyer

We have helped women obtain financial support for a child born out of wedlock. We will petition the court on your behalf to establish a biological relationship between the child and the father. Once paternity is established, we can seek:

  • Ongoing child support
  • Pregnancy and childbirth expenses
  • Retroactive child support to the date of birth

We take everything into account, including life insurance and health insurance for your child, as well as tuition, extracurricular activities and help with paying for college.

Be Careful What You Wish For: Paternity and Father’s Rights

Establishing paternity for child support also opens the door to shared parenting. A father is entitled under Illinois law to “reasonable and liberal” visitation, the same as if you had married and divorced.

The court will not deny visitation unless there is clear and convincing evidence that the father is a danger to your son or daughter (child abuse, drug addiction, criminal activity, etc.). The court may start off with supervised visitation and gradually expand parenting time.

In our experience, unmarried dads typically do not exercise visitation as much, especially if they do not live in the area. But to the extent he is involved, you must be prepared to have an amicable co-parenting relationship for the sake of your child.

Lakewood Paternity Attorney

To initiate or enforce a paternity action, call our law office, at 312-313-3022 or reach out online. Our firm always offers a free initial consultation, including evening and weekend appointments.